Friday 25 April 2014

Bolshevik Internationalists.

Having got the new Mutton Chop WW1 packs out of my system I am pleased to say that the Paul Hicks theme continues here on the blog. The latest task is to take some of the Hicks sculpted Brigade Games WW1 Austro-Hungarian Infantry figures (twenty in all) and paint them up as Hungarian PoWs who took up arms for the Bolshevik cause in the Russian Civil War. Instructions are to paint them up in a whole mash-up of clothing from Austrian Pike Grey, Austrian Field Grey, Russian Grey and captured British khaki. These are great to paint up and the variety of colouring makes this a a highly interesting project. I've been gently playing about with this for a few days and I thought I would share the first three completed figures with you all.



 

10 comments:

Matt said...

By George! They're superb sir!
Cheers
Matt

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Shading on grey is never easy. You've nailed it!

Over Open Sights said...

Cheers, AJ. I was wondering if the dark grey highlights were too dark but they show up quite well on the photo so I'll go with this on the rest. I'm quite pleased with the Pike Grey (light blue) as well.

Moiterei_1984 said...

Excellent work! Haven't had these on my radar before but they look the part.

Paulalba said...

They look great Mark, lovely shading!

Unknown said...

What a great idea for an alternate RCW unit - will have to file that away for when I next expand my Bolshie forces.

Phil said...

Excellent work, the paint job is really impressive...

Over Open Sights said...

Brian, I am no expert in this field but I am assured by people who know their stuff that such units existed!

Michael Awdry said...

He does do a tremendous sculpt that Hicks chap and you have really brought them to life Mark.

Steve said...

There were some 60,000 Austro-Hungarian and German POW's in Central Asia in the 1918, many of whom signed up for the Bolos under the illusion that they would be freed. And these figures capture them brilliantly. Top work Mark!